July 13, 2009

Structure

I often find that structure brings me a lot of freedom. It seems like it shouldn't, though, so then I get confused. And during seasons of my life when I forgo the structure for what seems like freedom, I don't feel free at all. I feel lost.

Recently I've been in a season of lost-ness, and I'm sick of it. I constantly feel like I need to be doing something or reading something or going somewhere, and it's all just because I'm not sure what I "need" to be doing. I need more structure.

I know that I don't want to feel forced into being responsible and such, like cleaning my room or vacuuming or doing laundry or spending time with God or tracking my money... but then knowing the place that each of those things take in my life gives me freedom to not think about it during all the other times. It allows me to rest well. These days my resting seems to make me feel irresponsible rather than acceptable and good.

So, I shall now set up some structure in my life. I need some expectations and goals and I'll be able to move on with my life. I'm heading out to sit out on my porch with my dog, drink a glass of wine, and write up some plans.

Anyone out there want to share some of the structure in your lives? Do you set expectations for things in life that should be rather simple?

3 comments:

  1. Just remember that God loves you the same when you are productive as when you aren't. He doesn't see things the same way we do. It's okay to just BE sometimes.

    That's it.

    (practically, i like to plan out my meals the week in advance and buy the bulk items...then i go to the farmers market or fruit stand for fresh produce throughout the week)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so much a fan of structure. I like to know what I need to do and get done a few days in advance, but I am unable to make lists and document things. It makes me feel like I am suffocating to keep a list or plan. This is probably why you are a high J and I am a high P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie - So true. I totally agree that I'm wholly loved by God. But then I believes that He wants me to spend my time well, even if it's just being with Him.

    Karyn - As you know, I have the world's worst memory, so I don't remember what I need to get done if I don't write it down. Then I'm constantly trying to recall what it is I should get done before I play. Gosh... I walk to the other side of the room for something and by the time I get there, I have forgotten what it is. It's so frustrating.

    All - Just as an update, one thing that I'm going to try out for a while in an attempt to add a little more structure to my life is to walk Tilla more often on a leash. I keep getting lazy with her training and just take her to the park, but then she forgets how to walk calmly on a leash. So, starting tonight I will spend time walking more... good for my dog, good for my health, good time to check out the neighborhood, good time to talk with God, etc.

    ReplyDelete