July 27, 2010

Home Visit #2

Home Visit #2 

This afternoon we got an opportunity to visit more homes. I went to one just down the street from the student center where there were both parents and 9 children living. Another wow! We spent most of our time in one room with two single beds and few other things. We asked lots of questions and played games with everyone. 

During one of them I peeked out the back door, curious about what else they had. The mother showed me another small room ewith a stove and table and an area outside where they had a couple rabbits and birds. Now I don't know if many of you know this, but I really don't like many animals other than dogs. People can have those things, but I sure don't want to touch them. Not even a little bit. As the mother was showing me around, though, she picked up one of the birds and handed it to me. She told me that the animals are for food, not pets, so I was really confused that she picked it up and all of a sudden it was in my hand. I was really trying to focus on not freaking out, hand her my camera, and not drop the thing all at once. She just kept telling me to hold the thing tighter. Seriously?! Once I had a good grasp of the thing I came around the corner to find someone to document this special occasion with a photo. But immediately our translator nearly freaked out when she saw me. Apparently we Americans should not be handling any animals so she promptly made me give the thing back. The whole thing made the mother of the family giggle a whole lot. I sanitized my hands, got my camera back, and from then on everytime the mother of the family looked my way she had a huge smile on her face. I'm glad to be of service in that way for her. And don't worry, I won't be touching any more birds.

I went back to playing some games with the kids, took lots of pictures, prayed for the family, and then walked through the rain back to the church.  Since we got back way earlier than the other groups we played games with the project staff and some kids. Even the cooks and project director totally got into duck, duck, goose. Nice! Before we left we prayed together as a large group, which brought tears to my eyes as I noticed some of the staff with tears running down their faces. The time there was so memorable and beautiful. I just loved it and I hope I remember it for a long, long time.   

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer JonesJuly 31, 2010

    Jamie -
    Thank you so much for these updates. What an amazing experience you are having! I am so grateful for you and your team sharing this joy with the people in Guatemala - and then sharing it with us. Hooray!
    Jennifer Jones

    ReplyDelete