August 4, 2009

An Acquired Taste and An Acquired Faith

I have acquired the taste for fruit. Yes, I know I'm weird. Until recently, I have loved vegetables and hated fruit. I would sometimes eat a piece about once a month or every couple weeks or so, but it was hardly ever a good experience. I literally remember each banana I have eaten in my entire life (well, as far back as I can remember), and that's because it's a very low number. I ate veggies all the time, and enjoyed them, but not so much fruit. It was always something that I ate because I thought I had to.

Wikipedia says "an acquired taste often refers to an appreciation for a food or beverage that is unlikely to be enjoyed by a person who has not had substantial exposure to it." My siblings may disagree, but I don't remember really having a whole lot of exposure to fruit growing up. We sure ate a whole lot of potatoes though (YUM!). I just thought fruit was odd and not good.

Well, a couple months ago I decided I should do something about it. I needed to be deliberate about changing my ways. I started buying new fruit each time I went grocery shopping, and then learn more about it and try to enjoy it. It was more challenging than expected, since I really didn't know the best eating practices of some.

It's worked. I've acquired the taste. I choose to eat fruit these days, and I even enjoy it. It's still weird for me, though, since I lived almost 30 years of my life without making that choice.

It's like some parts of my life relating to my faith. Sometimes I need to be deliberate and intentional about changing my ways, especially since I grew up with limited exposure to passionate faith. I know that God doesn't call us to a life of rules, but by adding more prayer to my life, I can invite Him into areas that may not have previously been His. And just like learning about fruit and how it can be part of my life, I can learn more and more about spiritual disciplines and their role.

I need to be just as intentional about changing in my relationship with God as I am about changing what I eat. Even having faith that God will do what He says He'll do, or trusting in His goodness may be an acquired practice for some of us.

3 comments:

  1. Oy...now I feel convicted to eat more fruits & veggies. Oh...and pray more and stuff. ;)

    Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to tie in the illustration with the "message". You'll be a seasoned preacher before you know it.

    In my life, I've had ample exposure to both fruits and vegetables, but I've always preferred fruits. Probably because they're full of sugar. Sugar is the best. Oranges, grapefruit, grapes, cantaloup, watermelon, kiwis, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries (actually any berries really), bananas, pineapple ... all favorites. It's like dessert in convenient little portable or bite-sized servings. I've never been big on apples, but that still doesn't keep me from being a fruit guy.

    I can't eat a lot of veggies. BORING. And plus, most of 'em taste like butt. I'll give you the potato thing, those are great in many forms, but that's cause they're not all that good for you. Brussels sprouts make me vomit (Did you know that it's brussels sprouts, not brussel sprouts? I didn't. But now I do. Those things are SO not sprout-ish.)

    Now to tie it all in to the message ... I must be a sinner. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're FUNNY, brother.

    ReplyDelete