Some people have more than enough and some have less than enough. I fall into the more than enough category, and I have never strayed from that throughout my life. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but since I realized that I've had more than most, I've enjoyed giving to others. God has given me joy in giving and I'm thankful for that. Giving means a whole lot to me, and I get rather excited when talking or thinking about it. I've also been challenged by this statement that is used around Compassion quite a bit: "The opposite of poverty is not wealth. The opposite of poverty is enough." I could go on and on about that, but it's not exactly what I want to write about right now. I have an idea.
For a while now I've been wanting to get middle school students more involved in giving and serving in the community. I want to challenge them in getting out there and doing something. (It's also good for me, since I don't like doing such things alone... maybe that's using them, but I hope it's much more.) Last week I got to attend a satellite site for the Willow Creek Leadership Summit, and I loved it. And as always, I was inspired to do more in my community, which happens to be the same community as my church, since I live so close. I know that the people here are not living in poverty as it is elsewhere, but some people are really in need of help. Also, our middle school ministry at my church is going through some transition, and I've had some renewed passion to step up and lead more. Then tonight, my cute dog and I took a walk and prayed for friends and family and ministries and such. We prayer walked around my church, too and it was great. While walking, more of the details of this idea kept coming together. I'm still working on it, and would love some feedback.
So, that was a long intro, but here's the idea you've all been waiting for... What if we, as a middle school ministry, became a conduit to help our community give to others in the community? What if we helped people who have enough give to those who have less than enough? What if we went door to door explaining our mission and inviting neighbors to either give or receive?
I currently live between two older women who are both grandmas living alone. One is retired and travels and spends lots of time with her family and enjoying life to the fullest. The other has been laid off for over a year now, and she sometimes works nights at Wal-Mart just to get by even though she's miserable there. Both have shared some about their faith with me, and they both need more of God in their lives. The second woman has been so hurt by the "church" in the past and wants nothing to do with it. What if we went to one and asked her to get involved in blessing other neighbors? I think she's be up for it. And if we went to the other and offered help, I think she'd be up for it, too, even if she's a little reluctant at first.
Details... maybe we'd start with a small stash of supplies in a backpack or something, mostly canned goods or toiletries or paper products or whatever. Or maybe we would just trust God to provide right from the start. We could go to someone's, explain who we are and ask if they have anything to share with other neighbors. Once we have things to share, then we can more readily offer that to others. We could have small groups (3-4) going around to the community, each with a leader (just to be safe and all). We have youth group on Wednesday nights, and for a while longer it'll still be light, so that'll be better, too. And it could be on a small scale so that it's more personal. I don't know how anyone will react, but we could talk more or pray with people as it comes up.
What do you think? Any additional details to add? Would you be bothered by someone at your door some evening asking if you have enough? Is this a good way to get our group out into the community to serve?
August 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment