The idea of community keeps coming up in my life, and today was no exception. Far too often we try to do life on our own, but the benefits of others getting involved can be amazing. This morning I had a great time helping a friend who's husband is in the hospital. He has been there for over a month, and is coming home in a few days, a month earlier than expected. So, a bunch of people from all areas of their lives joined in making the home ready for him. It was incredible how much everyone pitched in and used all sorts of talents to get things done... cleaning bathrooms and blinds and windows and the fridge and floors, dusting everything, hauling wood out of the back yard, raking tons of leaves, trimming bushes, purchasing and installing a new faucet, etc, etc, etc. I felt like we were on Extreme Home Makeover, but without quite an extravagant home in the end nor quite as large equipment.
I arrived on time this morning with my speech prepared... "uh... sorry, but I can only stay a couple hours today". (It's funny and sad that I even thought of saying that, since it's not like I had anywhere to be.) I just wanted the freedom of having an "out" whenever I needed it. But I never got a chance to perform my speech, and when I checked the time 3 1/2 hours later, I was enjoying myself too much to leave.
As we stood in the kitchen after finishing all the work about 4+ hours after starting, it was so great to look around and see all that a group of people could do in one morning. This wasn't just neatening up a home... we did some deep cleaning that I admit I've never done in my own home.
Those moments make me so thankful that people are willing to receive help rather than trying to make it on their own. It not only gives me something fulfilling to do on a Saturday morning, but it also allows us to come together and act like a community in a time of need.
October 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's so cool! I wish I'd gotten to participate. Let me know about next time it happens!
ReplyDelete