February 21, 2010

Thankful

I've been stinking thankful recently... and for even that I am thankful.  I'd like to share some of the reasons, in no particular order. 
  • Heat/Water/Housing - I've been noticing luxuries in my life that I often come to expect rather than be thankful for.  Millions of people around the world don't have these things.  I don't know what it would be like to not have a warm home and a warm shower (or even a shower at all) or as much water to drink as I could ever dream of.  I'm so fortunate!
  • My Job - I really enjoy my job (most days) and can't get over how blessed I am there.  I know too many people who are unemployed or entirely unhappy with their jobs, and I'm glad to not be one of them.  
  • Tilla - My little Tilla is just the cutest and most fun dog ever.  I love her a whole lot, and am so thankful for her presence in my life.  She makes me smile every day, even when she is difficult to deal with!
  • Vanguard Church - I am part of the best church in town.  (If you think otherwise, you're wrong :). )  I love how the leadership responds to very difficult situations, and I am learning a ton about my relationship with God, leadership as a whole, and specifically leading young women.  We have gone through some incredibly tough things in the last year, and in the midst of it we are growing more and more like Christ.
  • My Parents - They are both great people, and I feel like the more I get to know them, the more I appreciate and love them.  My mom is so ready to sacrifice and serve other people whenever given the opportunity.  My dad wants so much for each of us kids, but more than anything he supports us in what we want.  He's ready to give advice when asked and then trusts us to make our own decisions.  They still enjoy traveling with each other and they are a great example to me of a committed marriage.
  • Friends - I have some great friends!  I can go on an on, with examples and such, but I'm sure I'll miss important people.  So, since most of you readers are friends anyway, thank you!  You mean a lot to me and I don't know who I would be without you.
  • Snow - I love snow!  I love taking walks in it, and I've been longing to get some use out of my snowshoes for a while.  Some days I seek out people to join me on hikes, and I just get discouraged when I'm left to play in it alone.  Yesterday I was about to leave home with a long list of errands and things to do... and then I got a text about going showshoeing with a friend!  I am not normally one to do this, but I literally finished a couple things, geared up, and went out in search of snow.  We hiked up to the Crags and it was well worth it!  So beautiful and fun!
  • Safety - Yesterday the road to the Crags was quite slippery and I found that out the hard way.  In the search for a parking spot, I decided to back up a little without really paying attention very closely.  Duh!  I should have known better, but we were quickly stuck in some deep snow.  A few great people pushed us out and we were on our way again.  Then after our fun trek, we were driving down the a very narrow little hill and the car started sliding to the right.  Before I knew it, the car had spun around and we were stopped facing the other direction.  That moment could have turned out very badly, and I'm still overwhelmed with gratitude to God for taking car of us. 
I love my life.  It is made up of incredible experiences, people, and things.  I don't want to lose this attitude of thankfulness for a very, very long time.

1 comment: