Some days I feel like God has asked too much of me. It's as though I've signed up for things that are too big for me to accomplish. There are too many obstacles and too many things I can't control. I feel like I'm Israel and Moses is telling me this:
"Attention, Israel!
This very day you are crossing the Jordan to enter the land and dispossess nations that are much bigger and stronger than you are. You're going to find huge cities with sky-high fortress-walls and gigantic people, descendants of the Anakites--you've heard all about them; you've heard the saying, 'No one can stand up to an Anakite.'" (Deut. 9:1-2)
Wow! I would have felt like Moses was reading my mind. He told them exactly what they had been whispering about amongst themselves. They were discouraged and were questioning how they were going to do this task before them.
But then Moses went on...
"Today know this: God, your God, is crossing the river ahead of you--he's a consuming fire. He will destroy the nations, he will put them under your power. You will dispossess them and very quickly wipe them out, just as God promised you would." (Deut. 9:3)
What??? God is going to do the work that I was supposed to do? Nice! But really?!
I'm not sure how I would have responded if I were standing there listening back in the day, but today I know that I have courage in knowing how God works. All too often I dwell on the huge task ahead of me in any part of my life. I feel like everyone is bigger and stronger than me, along with smarter and better. Too often I feel like God wants me to do something, but I fail to listen to whatever He tells me next... that He's going ahead of me. He's in charge of making things happen. If anything/anyone comes in the way of what He wants me to do, then he'll take care of it. That's some good stuff.
February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good post, Jamie.
ReplyDeleteThanks, J. That was a good thing for me to read today.
ReplyDelete