So, are you wondering what it is? Baby Burp Cloths. It's just a rectangle of fabric, but it can serve as a crucial barrier between spit up and your favorite shirt. I even add an extra strip of fabric lining in the middle to make it more absorbent. And they're cute. Even though that's easy to say since most baby stuff is cute. Even Hooter Hiders can be cute. One day soon I'll start making those, too. (I just had to add that for Calli, who was here a couple days ago when I found out the name for those things.)
Here's a picture of the first ones I made for some friends. I should have learned how to fold well before taking the picture, but it's too late now. I don't claim to be a great photographer.
So, I've put together a business plan (on a piece of leftover Christmas notepad paper... so it's very official), and it involves the Compassion craft fair in May. I've found that I can sell it for less than it's worth in stores (even Wal-Mart), and still make some money. That way I can provide a discounted product for people, and put money toward fixing up my home some more, all at the same time. I have no idea how to know the demand for baby things at Compassion, but it shouldn't be a problem given the rate at which families are multiplying around there. I expect to receive at least a few weird looks for selling these things at work, so maybe I should trade booths with someone selling cooler stuff.
A concern I have is that friends who have already received this wonderful gift will feel a tiny bit less special once I start mass producing them. I hope they realize that those first ones were created with lots of love and care, and the fabric was chosen with them in mind (wink, wink).
So far I've made 12 for the craft fair. My goal is 36... more if I happen to get more inspired. I'll be out of town for about half of April, so I think that's pretty realistic. Here's a glimpse at the new ones.
Those first ones were a bit less baby-ish, but these are more typical blue and pink. Part of the business plan is that they have the same color backing, so I went with green. (Note: I had a 50% off coupon for one piece of fabric, so it was best for me to go with a bigger cut of one option.) It matches both, and happened to be a very similar green that matched the first purple ones. I'm now fresh out of flannel, so I'll try some new colors in the next batch.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYes!! You've even got the fancy fold down too!!
ReplyDeleteLove them. You could sell them on eBay!
ReplyDeleteMy friend Hollis made all of her own burp cloths for her kids, they looked a whole lot like those!
ReplyDeleteI like these things. They're fancy. I wish we were having a baby so we could have some of these special fancy burp cloths. I think they'd help protect my shirts.
ReplyDelete