March 11, 2010

Retreating

Tomorrow I'll be retreating with a group of Vanguard Church women to the Cheyenne Mountain Resort.  I know it's not far away physically, but I'm pretending like I'll be far, far away from my normal life.  It's not at all that my life is bad or anything, but I'm very much in need of some time to connect deeply with people and God. 

The last few years have been at a great Young Life place near Buena Vista, so this will be pretty different than what I've become accustomed to.  Here are some things I'll miss:
  • Big cozy couches and fire.  There was a huge area with all sorts of nice stuff at the last place where many great conversations took place and relatively late nights have been spent (y'all know me... I don't stay up late).
  • Amazing views from the enormous deck.  I don't know what this resort has to offer, but I don't think it can compare to the hills above Buena Vista, CO.
  • Long fun drives.  Windows that get stuck all the way open in freezing weather just make for more memories.  I am pretty sure I remember each person I've ever ridden with to a retreat, since each of those trips has included some great conversations. 
  • Top bunk.  Many people apparently complained about being a grown woman sleeping on bunk beds, but I'd prefer that any day over sharing a bed.  Yes, I'll admit that it'll be nice sharing a room with 3 other people rather than 30, but my recently noticed habit of sleeping diagonally on my queen-sized bed has made me nervous.  Melatonin will be my friend this weekend, that's for sure.  
  • The snack table.  This is the first year we won't have a table filled with all sorts of cookies, crackers, popcorn, puppy chow, and more.  It was a struggle to stay away from it most of the time, but there were always moments when a snack was appreciated. 
As I have the last few years, I'll be leading another discussion group a few times throughout the weekend.  As most of you know, I have a tendency to cry alongside anyone else crying within about a mile radius, so if I can hold it together somewhat, then I think we'll be alright.  I'll keep praying that God uses me in the midst of that. 

Well, I better finish up with some cleaning, packing, watching of The Office, and painting my toenails.  There's some important stuff going on here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment