February 11, 2009

Hope in God alone

“No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame.” (Psalm 25:3) Those words caught my attention last night like never before, and I’m so thankful for them. Recently I’ve been sharing some things with friends about what God is doing in my life, and some things that He has told me about my future. I was really scared to do so, though, because then God really has to show up. Or so I thought. I felt a ton of pressure because if He doesn’t, then I’m responsible for the faith of my friends. Before I told anyone I felt safe and comfortable with what God is doing and how He’s working. But once it was out there on the table, I felt an added burden of accountability since I have to answer to my friends if what I heard was incorrect, or God changes some of the course that I’m on. I believed that if anything changed from what I told them, then I would be put to shame and completely embarrassed, and they may trust God less. But why do I need to feel that responsibility? Who declared that I have the power to change someone’s trust in God? Only God can do that. He’s responsible and in control of their lives just like He’s in control of mine. That burden I was carrying was not from my Lord! May my hope be in God alone and may I never be put to shame!

3 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    I totally understand how you might feel the pressure for things to turn out a certain way.

    However, if there's one thing I've learned recently about God, it's that he likes to work outside (and I mean WAAAY outside) of our little boxes.

    So just because something doesn't turn out the way we are expecting doesn't necessarily mean that God didn't "show up."

    He just likes to surprise us.

    I love this about God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting update for anyone who actually reads the comments on this blog... I was spending time with a friend on Friday, and she said that God keeps bringing to her mind a certain verse, and then she quoted this one. Wow!
    Then today during youth group at church one of the students read a verse that meant a lot to him recently, and he quoted this verse as well.
    I feel like God has just been reminding me over and over how we will not be put to shame if our hope is in Him! Thank you, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Crazy. That seriously is pretty much just what I was trying to say, and just what I realized (without the verse).

    I think you said it better though.

    ReplyDelete