I just told my dog that she's looking a bit "wide." What?! Why would I tell her such things?
She was sitting there quietly as I attached her leash to her neck, and I noticed that she's looking a little fat. But rather than just saying the word fat, I said "wide," like it would hurt her feelings if I called her fat. Sheesh... she doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about unless I use words like kennel or bed or toy or ball or Havana or Abby (her friends). I could call her fat in a fun, high-pitched tone, and she'd probably get really excited. (For anyone wondering... I just tested it out, and my hypothesis was correct... she wagged her tail like I was about to give her a treat... but why would I give her a treat if she's looking fat?... go back to laying down, Tilla.)
So, now that I look at her, I don't actually think she's overweight. It must have been the lighting by the front door, or the way she was sitting, or that the outfit she had on wasn't very flattering (ok, ok, she doesn't really have any clothes). She's just a normal sized dog and she'll be fine. And I can call her fat or wide or whatever I want, whenever I want. The moral of the story is that I can be quite blunt with her, because she's a dog and doesn't understand English. If you're talking to me, though, please use a bit more tact.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's all about the tone of voice. :)
ReplyDeleteBut good thing it's getting close to summer so we can be out late and run a lot!
I am glad that you shared your blog with me, as now I can read-up on what is going in your world. I wish that you lived closer as well, as it would be great to have a real friend to sit down with from time to time. I still have had a hard time meeting people here, especially people who care about life change in others. It is fun to see how your work with these kids is really starting to show visible effects. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteKell