February 24, 2009

Middle school students are pretty amazing

Most people I meet think middle school students are just kids waiting to one day become adults. They're irresponsible, they don't care about anything, and we just need to find ways to keep them busy until they grow up.

Well... young people don't just grow up all at once... they are growing up a little bit every day whether we like it or not! We can be there as they become men and women who love God and respect others OR we can sit back and let them do whatever they want with whatever influences come their way. I want to be part of the first option, and I've seen that they're capable of so much more than we give them credit for.

I have had the privilege of being a volunteer leader with the middle school ministry at Vanguard Church for the past two and a half years. I have learned a lot from many of the students and recently I have been loving it more than ever. I feel like I've been learning right alongside them, rather than attempting to teach them like I know everything (I so don't!). The students have been stepping up in ways I didn't expect nor even thought possible, and it's so fun to experience. I've seen students praying for each other, challenging each other, speaking in front of the whole group, worshiping, receiving freedom for huge things in their lives, caring for each other, etc. And a lot of that has even been happening without the prompting of adults. I've been humbled by the vulnerability and desire to learn of some of these young adults in my midst.

Up until pretty recently, I wasn't fully convinced that very many students really care a whole lot about anything. Now, I think that a lot of what they do stems from the fact that they care so stinking much about what's going on in their lives, and they're learning how to deal with all of the emotion. I would love to become as passionate as some of them are.

I am honored that they let me laugh and cry and pray and share with them. And I'm so very excited for many more amazing moments with them as they become more of who God made them to be.

1 comment: