I got a "new" book from the library today and I was encouraged not to read it in one sitting. I'm going to have a hard time with this, since I'm already hooked and it's only 71 pages.Here is the first paragraph of Clinging- The Experience of Prayer:
"There is a moment between intending to pray and actually praying that is as dark and silent as any moment in our lives. It is the split second between thinking about prayer and really praying. For some of us, this split second may last for decades. It seems, then, that the greatest obstacle to prayer is the simple matter of beginning, the simple exertion of the will, the starting, the acting, the doing. How easy it is, and yet--between us and the possibility of prayer there seems to be a great gulf fixed: an abyss of our own making that separates us from God."
That's a GREAT quote. I'll have to check that book out!
ReplyDeleteI bought a used copy and noticed that whoever owned it before had written something like "maybe I should have read the whole book first, so that this would make more sense!" about half way through.
ReplyDelete