December 1, 2009

Gifts I Could Never Give, Part 1

Recently at work we had to do a rather annoying task. We had a few weeks to get it done, and sure enough, the procrastination paid off and the "rules" were changed to make it a bit easier. I feel like the idea itself wasn't terrible, but it would be much better to have been done among good friends. We were asked to answer a bunch of questions about each of our team members and it was really hard for me. (The change in expectations allowed Karyn and I to work together! I got the good end of that deal since she's really smart and creative!)

The idea of one the questions has really made me think a lot over the last week or so, and I'd like to share some of my answers for other people in my life, rather than all the work people. The original question was "what is a gift I would give that person if I had no restriction on resources?" My slightly-altered question is "what is something I want to give you, but I never could?" Here are some of my answers (in no particular order). Enjoy.
  • To one of my neighbors I would give a fulfilling job. I just keep wanting to provide for her needs financially, but she wants so much more than that. Things just aren't very fulfilling when you have to work short term jobs, including working nights at times, and where you aren't appreciated or respected.
  • To my friend I would give a completely healed body. He's been through the crappiest year ever physically and I just want this year to end with a body exactly how God intended it to be... healthy and pain-free and functioning properly. I have no idea what it's like to go through what he has endured, but his journey has been inspiring to me and many others.
  • To a couple other neighbors I would give the perseverance to lose a lot of weight. I don't want to just remove the extra pounds because of all that comes with the process, but I don't want them to give up. (Btw... thanks for getting on my case for not going to the gym tonight after you already had, but really... I've been there 4 times in the last 7 days and that's enough for me. Also, please don't make me do karaoke at your birthday party this weekend.)
  • To a few friends I would give an amazing first year of marriage! I hope it's a great start to many more years together.
  • To another few friends I would give an extra portion of joy and excitement and health as they carry their babies for the rest of their pregnancies. I'm so happy for each of them!
  • To another friend I would give a completely sober brother, who again could be part of her family, and that this terrible time will actually bring them closer to each other.
  • To another friend I would give incredible and deep friendships and many blessings for how much she serves and loves people, as well as a really safe and great trip to the other side of the world at the end of this month.
Well, there you go. It's the thought that counts, right?

PS... don't worry... more are coming soon...

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I like this blog post. A lot. :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, shucks, you think I'm smart and creative and I get a good first year of marriage?! Jamie is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for this blog post. I think you should actually do it! C'mon! Throw caution to the wind and give away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad y'all enjoyed that, but I (sadly) can't give you those things. I'll continue to support God in giving them to you, though. :)

    ReplyDelete