Last Saturday was simply amazing. I had such a wonderful morning, aside from being woken up around 5 and not being able to go back to sleep. After Tilla lovingly woke me up, I was probably just too excited for the day ahead. I should have taken pictures, as always, but I didn't get around to that.
After I was ready to go, I took my bike, my bible, my journal, and some other random necessities and headed to Monument Valley Park in my car. It was an absolutely beautiful day so far and I was already having fun. I rode around the park, and reminisced as I passed the baseball diamonds... of that summer I decided to try out my skills on the Vanguard softball team. I was much more wanting to meet people and build relationships than play ball, and it definitely showed. We had fun, but by the end of the season our goal seemed to be more about finishing each game without enforcing the Mercy Rule, than even attempting to win.
From there I went to a bagel place downtown for breakfast, where I sat to read/write in my journal for a bit. Then I sat under a tree at Acacia Park for a while to do the same. The area was so quiet and peaceful on that Saturday morning, which was different than most other times I'm down there in the evening.
I realized that I wasn't too far away from Memorial Park, so I got back on my bike and went east. That area was amazing. I rode around the lake a couple times and enjoyed people-watching and reading/writing more. I almost got blown away multiple times, or knocked off my bike, but I'm happy to report that there were no accidents. I remembered all the times I had been to that park before, which was really interesting. A couple Balloon Festivals, a Turkey Trot 5K, fireworks for the 4th of July, swimming at the pool, a kinda/sorta first date, etc.
After my time there I went back towards downtown and finally found America the Beautiful Park. I just love that one, even though it was hard to get to from the east side of it due to the railroad tracks. Of course I sat to read/write more for a while. I had ridden my bike to that park many times before, mostly by myself on my bike and once even with my mom. (My mom and I spent time taking a picture of ourselves there and learned the hard way not to balance a camera on a bike seat in the wind. That should have been a no-brainer.)
I rode north from there up the Santa Fe trail to get some lunch at the Pita Pit. I took the pita back to Acacia Park, remembering how I had done that a few times before with different friends. It's just a perfect picnic food and a great location to eat.
The last place I really wanted to go was Colorado College. I know it's not officially a park, but I have driven by many, many times and I've never really checked it out. I just had visions of beautiful green grass so I went there next. I laid on the grass and read/wrote for a while, listening to the bells ring from the chapel every 1/2 hour and enjoying the shade of the trees.
I got back to my car about 4 1/2 hours after I set out, and I was just in awe of how great my time away had been. Great weather, fun locations, good time of writing my thoughts/feelings/experiences in my journal, and time to read through a bunch of Psalms and Ephesians. I'm so thankful that I'm still able to spend days like that, especially after a few rough work weeks and of being too busy outside of work.
May 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sheesh. That's quite the ride. Way to go!
ReplyDelete