March 10, 2009

Closer Than Your Skin


Last night I finished a book that I already started reading again. And I think everyone should read it...at least once. Closer Than Your Skin put into words a lot of my recent thoughts and feelings about hearing God, which was really encouraging. Susan D. Hill's words really touched my heart and gave me what I need right now in my life. I would not at all have felt the same way even 6 months ago, so I'm very thankful for the timing of it coming into my life.

In the book, Susan wrote, "hearing God should be normal Christianity." Ain't that the truth! The Bible is filled with all sorts of examples of how God has spoken to people, yet so often as Christians we go through life not hearing Him. I'm starting to believe more and more that God really is speaking way more than we give Him credit for, but we have a hard time hearing what He's saying.

Another thing that caught my eye was her statement about knowing the Bible: "But we all are unprepared if we don't know both the Bible and the Holy Spirit." I agree that knowing only one does not lead to the most growth. I have gone through many phases in my life of either reading the Bible regularly or just not. Some of those "just not" times have actually been periods of great growth and learning from God. But I have to admit that I am much more prepared for everything that comes into my life when I know God's Word. He gave it to us for a purpose, and I shouldn't take advantage of it like I sometimes do.

Since this isn't a work of fiction, I won't ruin the ending by including here the last couple sentences. To me, it just really sums up the book well, and maybe will inspire you to read it. "God is not somewhere across the universe whirling in space. Rather, he's here, right now, closer than your skin." (Note: your skin is pretty darn close to you, so then God must be REALLY close!)

After enjoying the book so much, I am even more excited for Vanguard Church's Womens' Retreat coming up this weekend. Susan D. Hill will be our main speaker and it's going to be incredible. I anticipate many opportunities to hear God, and pray with women about what God is telling us. I'm sure there will also be lots of laughter and craziness, too, so I'll prepare myself accordingly.

And one more thing... I'm so getting her autograph... I'm just going to be one of THOSE people.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about this book...I actually finished the last book that you recommended to me (Chasing Francis), and it was excellent. I used it in a talk that Jason and I did for CRU this past Thursday. So I will probably look at "Closer than Your Skin" too.

    I am sitting here tonight, bored and sad, I guess. Jason is gone for a week. Everyone else I know around here is gone too. That means Caleb and mommy time, which is fun, don't get me wrong, but I think that I am already missing people with whom I can have quality conversations. Just know that I am thinking of you tonight. Kell

    ReplyDelete