One of the big themes in my life these days is the idea of me being mature and complete. It comes from the book of James in the Bible.
“Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:4
I don’t want to get into a Biblical hermeneutics discussion here about how the verse should be interpreted. I do, however, want to share how God has been telling me that I can be mature and complete in Him.
For most of my life, I’ve felt very lacking in the area of maturity and have felt very incomplete. When asked to be a leader in some area of my life, I often resist because I feel young and inexperienced and like I don’t have much to offer. But more and more I’m realizing that I do!
He made me, and He gives me everything I need to be complete. Whenever He asks me to do something or lead in a certain area of my life, He provides me with all the necessary components to make it work out perfectly.
He also sees me as mature, despite how I feel. Way too often I still see myself as a young girl trying to fit in and trying to make a difference somehow. But age does not necessarily bring wisdom, so why do I act like it does? Why do I sit back and watch others lead just because I’m younger? And my feelings of inability aren’t necessarily based on truth. I’m more capable than I often give myself credit for, so why do I act like I have nothing to offer?
A few weeks ago this whole idea started forming in my head and my heart. I was beginning to understand more of how God sees me instead of focusing on how I view myself. Then I went on the Women’s Retreat and I got to put it into practice. I was surrounded by about 90 women, many of whom are really wise and whom I greatly respect. But I was willing to put myself out there and take the challenge to act mature and complete (not always in the grown-up sort of way, but more so in the spiritual sort of way). It was so fun how God used me, and I’m incredibly thankful for that weekend! He gave me words to share with people, and ways to pray with and for them like never before. I don't feel like I arrived at the retreat broken like I have in past years, but I left more complete than I ever have.
Since then I’ve been continuing to learn about this idea. It has come up a lot in my mind as I volunteer with the middle school ministry at my church. I need to seek God more on what He wants for me as I lead in that area. I don’t want to just show up and be one of the students… I want Him to use me! It’s also something I think about a lot at work. I feel rather young and inexperienced for the role I have, but that doesn’t matter in God’s eyes. He has put me in this position for a reason, and I just need to be obedient to do what He asks of me. May I continue to experience His presence and learn more about how I am mature and complete in His eyes!
Awesome. For the record (and because I know what it's like to wonder if anyone reads your blog) I'm glad that you are not only blogging, but doing so with vulnerability and such substance!
ReplyDeleteI really think that that "as iron sharpens iron" jazz really kicks in when we are able to share and learn from and inspire each other with stuff like this.
Also for the record, Wendy and I have had conversations about how mature you are. (I was surprised to learn you were younger than us!) Just confirming the affirming. =)
Josh - Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate your kind words, and that you read this blog. I've been enjoying sharing a lot, so I'm glad to have some readers. Your family is great!
ReplyDelete