May 2, 2009

Should I Tell Them?

I love music... a whole lot. And lyrics really touch my heart all the time. And tonight is yet another one of those times. I heard a song by Shaun Groves on the radio called "Should I Tell Them" and I really listened to the words for the first time (even though I had to look some of them up online when I got home... I'm often not good at understanding lyrics... but I'll refrain from sharing any embarrassing examples of that at this time.)

Well, I'm a huge fan of Shaun's music because of how real and honest it is and tonight this song really made sense to me and put to words some things I've been feeling.

Here's most of the song...

Should I Tell Them
Walking with you is not without hazards
Trippings this traveler's curse
Price paid for falling is more than my stumble
In a world that is watching and waiting for words

But I listened when You said to go
And I set out in spite of my fears
About truth mixed with my imperfection
And the question of what to say when I got here

And now that I'm here
Should I tell them that
You are the one who has made me
And saved me and set up a home there inside
Should I tell them that I am a perfect example
Of all You can do with a life.
What should I say to them?
What if I'm failing them?
What should i tell the tonight?

Cause on every face I detect
The same questions I've posed to you
Like do you speak through the imperfect
Are we too dirty for your light to get through?
I want your light to get through.

What should I tell them when
They're thirsty Lord
My cup is empty Lord
Come and lead me here in this place
Cuz I'm honest, yeah, but I'm unprepared
And I'm just plain afraid


That first line is so true. "Walking with you is not without hazards." Hazard means "something causing difficulty" or "the absense or lack of predictability." Ain't that the truth. I feel like my life as a Christian includes difficulty and is no more or less predictable than it would be otherwise. These days I don't know what to expect at any time.

"But I listened when You said to go / And I set out in spite of my fears." I feel like I'm doing that more and more, yet I still have the fears. And that is frustrating to me. Maybe they'll never go away. Or maybe they'll lessen as I learn to trust God more and hear him more clearly.

"Like do you speak through the imperfect / Are we too dirty for your light to get through? / I want your light to get through." I've been wondering these things quite a bit lately. How does God use us in speaking to each other? How does God use imperfect people to say things that should be perfect? Does God's like shine through even if we're rather dirty inside? How does that work?

And my prayer in the midst of all these questions I have is this: "Come and lead me here in this place / Cuz I'm honest, yeah, but I'm unprepared / And I'm just plain afraid."

Anyone have any answers or thoughts on all this?

1 comment:

  1. My thought, Jamie, is that I appreciate your transparency. :) This is a good post.

    (Sorry I don't have answers for you.)

    ReplyDelete