I have been overwhelmed by generosity lately. It's crazy! Sometimes I feel like I'm all alone with no one to turn to and no one to help me. But not these days. No way.
Last week I was sick and literally couldn't leave my home. For a long while I couldn't leave the second floor of my home (where my bathroom is located, if you know what I mean). A bunch of people offered to help, and after about 14 hours of being pretty miserable I threw my pride out the door and let them know of some specific ways that they could help me. One friend bought me (and brought me) an abundance of Gatorade, chicken broth and soup. Another one took my dog on an outing for a few hours. That one even went way above and beyond anything I expected and even put gas in my car! For real?! She said that she didn't want me to get back in my car after being sick and have to deal with getting gas.
Then on Monday, I felt like my home was falling apart. I had already being trying to figure out what to do about my back sliding glass door with some advice from my dad. There was a gap that was growing by the day between the fixed door and my wall. And I the other door would only open about a foot and a half, since it was getting stuck against the fixed door. I was thinking that I may need to hire someone to come and either fix it or replace it, which was probably going to involve my HOA and just be a big deal all around. Then that morning as I opened my front door the bottom piece just fell off. It has been getting stuck and the door was becoming harder and harder to open, but again, I didn't know what to do. I'd like to consider myself rather handy, but those things just were out of my limit of handiness.
After the bottom of the door fell off, there was a half inch gap under the door, and the sky was already threatening to drop some serious liquid. I ran some errands, including buying a new piece at Lowe's, and went home to find rain coming in... then hail bounced right in like it belonged there. Not good! Again I had to throw my pride out the door and ask for help. A friend came over about an hour later and went to work. The drill gave up about half way through the job and needed some more juice, but while it was charging, he took a stab at the back door. (I wouldn't want to make him sit around idle or anything.)
He got the fixed part of the glass door back in place, added a screw to keep it there, and made it so that the moving door now opens all the way. All the way! It hasn't done that in the entire time I've lived here. And recently air has just been flowing right through the hole like I have air conditioning. I was getting nervous about bugs just making themselves at home in my home. After that door was better, he finished up on the front door, and now that one is better than it's been in years!
At that point I was already overwhelmed and was thinking that I am quite blessed with some great people in my life. Then last night I noticed that my dog was having some serious problems with one of her back legs. After a call to a Vet, I decided she'd be fine waiting until today to get checked out. The main problem was the fact that I had taken my car to a mechanic to get worked on a few hours earlier. I had no transportation, and was already relying on someone else to get to and from work. More not good-ness.
I made some phone calls this morning to get an early Vet appointment (perfect!), find a ride to the Vet, and to let the car people know that they couldn't work on my car today. So, I got to the Vet clinic, but I was there without a way to get home or even to my car. I mentioned just a small bit of my crazy morning to the Vet, and he immediately offered to drive me to get my car. That was just too much. I couldn't believe that he wasn't too busy and too important to help me.
I remembered that the car place has a shuttle service, so I called them and a guy came to get me about 20 minutes later. And while I was away, the clinic offered to let Tilla stay there. That was so nice. They were all so ready to help in any way they could. (Big shout out to Yorkshire Vet Clinic for getting me in so early, and for being so great and helpful... I highly recommend them to all pet lovers out there.) So, I went and got my car, picked up Tilla from the Vet, dropped her off at home, and made my way up to work.
There you go. That's some serious generosity. It's what community is all about, and I love it! And I am so incredibly thankful! I hope that I can be as kind to people in my life as they have been to me.
May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's easy for people to be generous to those who are likable. You're very likable, Jamie.
ReplyDelete